Pages of Life

"What lies behind you and what lies in front of you, pales in comparison to what lies inside of you."~Ralph Waldo Emerson





Sunday, January 16, 2011

Tick Tock

I will be 30 weeks pregnant come next Thursday. I am going into "I'm not gonna make it" phase of pregnancy.

Two nights ago my hips started doing that freaky thing that makes it feel as though you have been horseback riding in your sleep. I literally feel as though my pelvis is coming apart at the joints. I slept with a pillow between my knees last night and it seems to have helped. Of course, sometime after the 6th trip to the bathroom it ended up in the floor. I woke up and realized it was gone, where it was, sighed and bunched up the quilt instead. It was not nearly as comfortable, but I was sweating  anyhow and the quilt was dangerously close to joining the pillow on the carpet below. I was just happy to find a temporary sort of comfort that could possibly help ease me back to sleep when I heard the dreaded noise that is familiar to back roads and wooded hills across the state of Tennessee.

It started as a chorus of high-pitched yelps in the distance that were soon joined by the neighboring dogs as they drew closer. I fought the urge to go to the window and peer into the moonlight on account of the annoying repositioning that would follow when I returned to my bed. Besides, did I really need to see a coyote in the flesh when the Road Runner cartoons did such a wonderful job of illustrating the ugly creatures? Nah. My bed was far too comfy and my bladder was behaving right then. A pregnant woman has to appreciate the simple things in life.

So, while I was laying awake listening to the coyotes holler pitifully outside my window and feeling every tick of the clock, as if time itself was robbing me of tomorrow's sanity that only sleep could bring, I began to think. Thoughts were strung together by thin pieces of consciousness not unlike Christmas lights on the wire that blends into the green of the tree needles. The thoughts came forward to be noticed, an emotion attached itself to the thought and then it twinkled out and was replaced with another equally fleeting musing.

My pregnancies often bring about sleepless nights for me. I love my children and being a mother but I am not a woman who enjoys pregnancy. In fact, I would prefer that a stork bring the baby or perhaps I find a nice cabbage patch to adopt one from. I can say with all truthfulness that all of my pregnancies have had their fair share of difficulty to deal with but this one has been quite the challenge. First, there was the insurance nightmare and now there is a move to deal with and finding another doctor when I get there as well as a hospital to deliver at.

I think it's gonna be a long time before I get a good night's sleep. *sigh*

3 comments:

  1. I hope the next 10 weeks fly for you. I have 8 more to go.... I don't get women who say "I LOVE being pregnant" It's a beautiful thing, but it's not all peachy keen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I was laying awake... feeling every tick of the clock, as if time itself was robbing me of tomorrow's sanity that only sleep could bring."

    I HATE that feeling! And I've felt it so often, it's pathetic. :P I can't see the keyboard so it's a bit of a chore to type, but I just wanted to leave a little comment. Found you through your babycenter post. It's fun to meet other March mamas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pregnancy is not kind to me either. ((hugs)) Chiropractic care was a life saver for me. I had horrible sciatic pain and something called a pubic shear which caused terrible pelvic pain which made it hard to walk. once I found a good chiro that worked with pregnant women, I finally found some relief.

    ReplyDelete