Pages of Life

"What lies behind you and what lies in front of you, pales in comparison to what lies inside of you."~Ralph Waldo Emerson





Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Parenting Fail

So, I blew up at my 13 year old tonight. We bought him a really nice warm coat from JcPenney when the weather turned cold this fall. I was really proud of the deal I got (half off) and I love that it could be worn 3 different ways, came with a warm hood and is long enough to cover his butt.

Tennessee mornings can be bitterly cold this time of year and I didn't want to think of my beloved boy standing down at the bus stop at 6 am in inadequate outerwear. Truth be told, I also feel guilty for being too much of a loser to drive the kids in on the mornings when the van is available. It wasn't available this morning anyhow though, so I am letting myself off the hook.

Anyhow, for some reason he rarely wears the thing and usually opts for his Old Navy zippered hoodie. It's nowhere near warm enough in my opinion. I also hadn't seen his warm jacket kicking around and so when he came in wearing the hoodie, I got really angry. All kinds of things started running through my mind. Did he lose it? How would we replace it? Why doesn't he like it? How does it look when a child is standing out in sub-freezing weather in a hoodie?

I questioned him depth and his answer was, it wasn't cold and of course my 11 year old daughter had to tell me how freezing it was. That didn't help the situation-at all- because I was picturing my son out there half frozen. It's a long walk just to get to the darn bus stop.

So I went overboard and the tension built and then I exploded and made him go get me the coat. He managed to find it but I was already over my limit as far as what I'd put up with from him and of course, said really stupid things and then the worst happened: I burst into tears!

I am really nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment