Pages of Life

"What lies behind you and what lies in front of you, pales in comparison to what lies inside of you."~Ralph Waldo Emerson





Monday, January 31, 2011

New Phase!

The General Manager of the store my husband works for at the Columbia location gave my husband about 7 days off in total for the months of October, November and December. This means he could not get time off for Noah's birthday, Olivia's birthday, Thanksgiving, Christmas shopping, or doctor's appointments for my pregnancy. I have 2 toddlers and live in a city that we relocated to for the company. I haven't had a chance to meet anyone, use my membership at the gym, join a church or attend school functions. We only have one vehicle and I have been home bound due to restrictions on managers that require them to have a vehicle present at all times. The district manager knew about the schedule but did nothing to intervene because the location was in dire need of my husband's management skill. He was salaried at x amount of hours but was working at least 20 hours overs that each week. 

Things started sliding out of control-- and we desperately needed change. One thing that our separation did for us was teach us to spot the warning signs of family crisis. So when stuff started sliding we had a discussion and decided that we better rethink a few things and that's when we realized that we would never have a normal life as long as he was managing restaurants. We hatched a plan to start a business of our own and so here we are! Of course, his district manager had to remind him that he was on track to make a salary of 100k by the time I deliver at the end of march but still, she could never give us back holidays or birthdays and managers have to work all of them except Christmas Day. They also have to work nights and weekends or whenever they are needed. We just couldn't justify trading family for money in the end. So, we said, screw it and we are heading to live near his dad and do subcontracting for the blind and window treatment industry. After tracking accounts for the last few months we estimate that we would have made about $2000 more income than we do now  and he would have been home every night and weekend. There is just no reason not to do it. 

Well except for the fact that it's a 9 hour move and I am 31 weeks pregnant. I am nervous but excited and so hoping that this will lead to a healthier marriage and family for our children. We're putting our faith in God and good old fashioned hard work. 

We'll be moving out of Tennessee in 2 weeks and heading for South Carolina. I don't know what lies ahead but I know it'll be better than what lies behind. I would trade everything I own for time with my husband. Oh and another wonderful benefit is that I will have time to work on my novel again. He'll be home to help with the kids and I may even take most Saturdays as my own personal work day unless we have an outing planned. 

I'm hopeful and optimistic, emotional and terrified but mostly I am relieved that the burden of raising 5 kids will now be shared instead of on my shoulders alone as it has been for the last couple years. I'm blessed to live in this country where new beginnings are just around the corner if you are brave enough to take the first step. 







3 comments:

  1. many blessings to your family on your new path, sounds exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Heather :) I am getting excited to make the move. The thing I dread the worst is not the packing or unpacking but the drive down there! Knoxville is awful for traffic and I will have a van load of kids and will be big in pregnant. The good news is, we're gonna take 2 days to do it, so will stop half way. I don't think I could handle 9 hours straight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, I had no idea that Dave had left his job or that you guys were planning to move until I just saw something you posted on FB. I hope that this is the first step towards a better life for all of you. It is not right that so many demands were put on Dave to miss out on so many important (and irreplaceable) moments with his family. I'm sure that it will be a big weight off of your shoulders to have him around more.

    ReplyDelete